Thursday, October 2, 2014

Uncle Sam's Directions







     When my Uncle Sam gave you street directions he would throw his head back, close his eyes so he could better visualize the lay of the land, and then the conversation would go something like this:  "Well, let's see --- now, you need to go south on the highway until you come to the old Wilson farm, then you turn right on that low road that runs along beside it.   When you see the field on the left where the old Baptist church used to be you need to take that road that angles off to the right and go on until you come to the orchard --- that used to be part of the Hooligan farm but I believe their third boy sold it to the Harton family, anyway just past the orchard turn on the high road that runs off to your right and you will see the entrance.  Then you are there!!!

     You think I am kidding, but I am not.  Furthermore, I always enjoyed Uncle Sam's directions and   I love the charm of old road names.  They are descriptive and  inviting.  Who could resist a trip down Lickskillet Road?   I can entertain myself   for hours riding around reading old street names.  On a recent trip to the mountains I persuaded my husband to turn around and let me get pictures of some real doosies so I could share them with you.  Regrettably,  I did not get to photograph Bee Tree Road.  I would like to have been there the day that one was named!

                       
     When I got back from the trip I looked at some of my vendors' addresses for comparison.  Mary Rose Young, a British artist, has a charming address:  Oak House
                                                Arthur's Folly
                                                Parkend, Lyndney

Jars (a china line) has a nice address, also.   Theirs is 65 Pondfield Road and Blenko Glass Company is Fairgrounds Road.  Bernardaud China Company has particularly glamorous sounding address:  499 Park Avenue at 5th.   Ooh la la!!!  Lovely china, lovely address.

     Compare these to 5 Corporate Drive and many Post Office Box numbers.  But, the winner of the worst address of all is 32501 Collections Drive.  Yes, I really do send checks to that address.  I shall not name the company to avoid embarrassment                                                                     for them.

     My point is this :  in our dot com society I sincerely hope we do not throw out the baby with the bath water.  Yes, Vineyard's has a website now,  we have a blog, we are on Facebook and we are trying to get Instagram up to snuff but what I really hope is that people will come into our shop.  Smell our candles, pick up the merchandise, feel the texture and the weight of an item.  Chat with us and let us know how you are doing and if we can help you with a gift or  some stationery.   Escape for a while in Vineyard's.  Our address is 31-F Wiley Parker Road.  That does not sound particularly charming but I was pleased to learn that Wiley Parker was a real person.  I believe he owned a store!

    

No comments:

Post a Comment